The Master

Bryan Burrough

Having spent my working life in the City, the livery world is very much part of the City and I couldn’t really join any other livery other than the Distillers, which I joined in 1988. I have found it lots of fun and it is great to see the distilling industry in such great “spirits”. I have acted as Chancellor (Finance Director) and Chair of the Charity Committee and kept an eye on the Distillers’ investment portfolios.The Distillers’ Company is understandably proud that 80 per cent of liverymen are involved with the drinks trade. As one of the other 20 per cent, I hope to continue to cement the Company’s relationship with the City of London. I have been delighted to see a number of the City’s spirit industry analysts join the Company. It has been great to see their insight on show in our annual City Debate. I also hope to help the wider livery movement which is seeking to aid cross-livery initiatives.

I am married to Philippa, who is an avid gardener, and we open our garden near Maldon in Essex for the National Garden Scheme on a number of occasions during the year. We have two sons Leo, who is at Edinburgh University, and George who will be going to University in 2018. Outside my family the loves of my life are National Hunt horseracing and Scottish Rugby. I have been very lucky to own a Grand National winner Corbiere and played rugby at London Scottish for ten years. So I enjoy my gin and my scotch!

Why Do Liveries Have Military Associations?

Some people ask, ‘Why do livery companies have military affiliations?’ I think the best summary is that livery companies represent the United Kingdom’s industries and as a trading nation the UK...

Read more

February Lunch 2018

This year’s February Livery lunch was held on Wednesday, 7 February at the beautiful Apothecaries’ Hall. It followed a morning Court meeting which concluded with The Master appointing Garvin Brown IV,...

Read more
Worshipful Company of Distillers Crest

The Worshipful Company of Distillers

The Worshipful Company of Distillers is a Livery Company of the City of London dating back to the reign of King Charles I.

Find out more

Consorts Burning the Candle at One End

The recently installed Mistress, Philippa Burrough welcomed a group of consorts of Distillers’ Liverymen to the splendid surroundings of the Tallow Chandlers hall for a delightful lunch to bring some light...

Read more